Thursday, October 05, 2006

Tacos and ribbons

I just love the fair. It is nice to have something you can depend on. Something old (I'm sure the baby rattler is still fooling 6 year olds) and something new (the Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich, served with honey and cheese), something for everyone. As a 4-H kid, the Junior Exhibits was home with lots of ribbons making you feel very important. As an adult, I had always felt intimidated by the entries in the Home Arts building, not so much because I thought they were so amazing, but because you could tell it was difficult to win anything, and some things that were very good won nothing. It was always somewhat baffling.

My personal goal a few years ago was to enter and win a blue ribbon. Maurice beat me to that, and bruised my ego in the process. He doesn't know that he really did bruise my ego. He entered his hand made wine and got first place. Admirable, yes, but he beat me. So I made a quilt and entered it. It at the time was my crowning achievement in quilting. I also chopped off a nice chunk of my finger making it, causing 10 stitches and leaving a lasting reminder of my skills with a rotary cutter. Anyway, I got an Honorable Mention. A ribbon, saving me from utter humiliation, but not really anything.

Well, finally the mountain has been climbed. I did it! One blue ribbon, and two red ones. Not too bad. I realize in the grand scheme of things it is a very little thing, but I like it when I tell myself I could do something if I wanted, and then I actually follow through. So many times, it is easier to let the thought pass.














































Next goal is to enter in Fine Arts building. They have a fiber arts category. Hmmm. We'll see how many years it takes me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to introduce myself as Emily, Mom's new Tech Person.